Your journey to a beautiful smile does not end when your Invisalign aligners come out for the last time. You have put a lot of effort into reaching this celebratory milestone. To ensure your beautiful new smile lasts a life time – you will need to wear retainers.
Retainers hold your teeth in their new positions while bone tissue rebuilds around them. Your teeth naturally want to shift through out life, whether you have had orthodontic treatment or not. Nothing can prevent 100% of tooth movement, but when retainers are worn as prescribed, they are the best tool available to minimize movement.
Retainers can only do their job, when they are in your mouth!
Some Important Tips!
When your retainer is not in your mouth, put it in its case!
• Always carry a retainer case with you
• Do not put your retainer in your pocket or bag, as you may damage it.
• Avoid wrapping your retainer in a tissue or serviette – it is too easy to throw away.
• Keep your retainer out of reach of dogs. Dogs love to chew retainers.
• Avoid heat. Your retainer can become deformed if it is left in the car, put in hot water or the dishwasher.
Avoid drinking any liquids (except water) when your retainers are in place. Liquids can seep into the retainer and is held against the teeth until the retainer is removed. Liquids other than water contain natural or artificial sugars and/or acids, which can cause tooth decay.
How To Keep Your Retainers Clean
• Clean your retainers with a gentle toothpaste or kitchen detergent before you put them in and after they are removed. If you find this too difficult during the day, you can rinse your mouth with water and spray a sanitizing spray called Smilesaver (which also has a pleasant spearmint flavor) onto your retainers.
• To remove stains, you can soak your retainers in white vinegar for 15 minutes or with a denture cleaning tablet with a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide once a week.
If you have a problem with your retainer, please contact our team at Clear Orthodontic Studio.
It’s Now Over To You!
Keep your smile healthy and beautiful with your home hygiene routine and seeing your dentist regularly for your check up and cleans.
To preserve the great results of your aligner treatment, wear your retainers as instructed by your Orthodontist, Dr Ash. Happy smiling!
*Invisalign aligners are a registered medical device, you should always read and follow the label and the instructions of your treating orthodontist.